Monday, February 16, 2009

Assignment 2

For this assignment, I am required to create a pictogram for NUS Community and this pictogram will be placed within NUS campus.

When I was brainstorming for ideas, the thought of ringing handphones in the lecture theatres and libraries disturbing others came to my mind. With this idea in mind, I decided to develop a pictogram illustrating that mobile phones should be switched to silent mode in the lecture theatres or libraries. Thus, I have chosen a picture of the Samsung slide phone (from the Internet) and performed a 5 steps abstraction process. They are as follows:



Original Photo:






Abstraction 1
In order to signify that the handphone should be switched to silent mode, I have thought of using a cross against a musical note. Although this sign is easily understood, it is very common. Thus, after pondering over Mr. Alfred for advice, I have decided to use a red circle to warn people that the handphone’s ringtone could disturb others in the lecture theatre or library.











Abstraction2:













Abstraction 3:









Abstraction 4:









Abstraction 5:






After developing these 5 abstraction sketches, I decided that Abstraction 4 is the best illustration for a handphone because it is simple and yet, it is able to retain the basic idea of a handphone. Hence, I present my final prototype as follows:













Based on the feedback from my classmates and consultation with my tutor, Mr. Alfred, I have made the following amendments to my 5- steps abstraction process and my final prototype.




The abstraction process is as follows:










My final Prototype is illustrated below:








This final Pictogram will be placed in the library as shown below:




3 comments:

  1. Hey Elisa..

    I agree with the rest of the class that instead of using a red coloured circle behind the musical note, perhaps you can change it to a red cross note. Cos right now it looks like the red circle is drawing attention to the musical note, which I feel has the opposite effect from what you intended.

    peiyi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red dot with the note seems to tell me it has something to do with japanese music. I would prolly use standard rectangles for the body and screen of the phone cause its a little slanted. Just my 2 cents =)

    Choong Yee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elisa.. I was thinking maybe you could use the silent mode symbol in our phone rather than the cleft sign? Because for your design I initially thought you were trying to promote a mp3 hp or something like that..

    ReplyDelete